- This event has passed.
Herding Workshop and Club Meeting
May 6, 2016 @ 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Does your Portuguese Water Dog have what it takes to herd? Come join us for a Herding Workshop at Fido’s Farm in Olympia, WA—and participate in the general Club Meeting and potluck lunch.
The workshop includes an introduction to herding, learning basic herding commands, 1 on 1 coaching with the instructor, and herding instinct evaluation.
Documented breed history is that the PWDs herded fish when working with the fishermen in Portugal. Lore has it that PWDs may have herded sheep in the winter months in Portugal too. Come see if your Portuguese Water Dog has what it takes to herd sheep, or come for the fun to watch others.
Date: May 6, 2017
Workshop Time: 9:00 AM
Where: Fido’s Farm
9829 Evergreen Valley Rd SE
Olympia, WA 98513
Instructor: Ron Fischer, herding instructor and AKC herding judge
Register online to reserve your space in the herding workshop. Day of workshop registration will be available as time permits. Unlimited auditors and spectators are welcome and are free.
- $35.00 per dog owned by member
- $40.00 per dog owned by non-member or non-PWD (all breeds welcome)
[imic_button colour=”btn-primary” type=”enabled” link=”https://www.pnwpwdc.org/2017-herding-workshop-registration/” target=”_self” extraclass=”” size=””]Register Online[/imic_button]
What to Bring
Fido’s Farm is located on 82 acres in the Evergreen Valley, just east of Olympia, 8 miles off I-5. It can be windy, and this spring the ground is very wet and muddy.
- A variety of really good training treats or toys
- Canine water bowl with water
- Cleanup materials—poop bags!
- Crate (crating will most likely be in your car; weather related)
- Boots or shoes that can accommodate wet and muddy conditions
- Comfortable clothing (bring layers)
Club Meeting and Potluck Lunch
Join us for a club meeting and potluck lunch at 11:00 AM. The club meeting and potluck lunch will be in the enclosed blue barn.
If your last name begins with…
- A to G = please bring a salad to share
- H to M = please bring a main or side dish to share
- N to Z = please bring a dessert to share
Beverages, paper products, and utensils will be provided.
After the club meeting and potluck lunch, the herding workshop will continue as needed for those handlers and dogs that are waiting their turn with the instructor and with the sheep.